Enterprise & Datacenter SSD Form Factor Working Group
The Charter of This Group is To Address and Optimize The Following Two Usages:
- A high-capacity, hot-pluggable SSD that can fit vertically in 1U, works well in existing server and storage infrastructure, and meets enterprise performance needs. Balanced performance and capacity is #1 priority.
- A very high-capacity, hot pluggable SSD that can fit vertically in 1U, achieves a cost effective density and is optimized for maximum system capacity and TCO for large data sets. Capacity is #1 priority
To Meet Both Usages, The Following Tenets Were Established:
- NVMe is the primary interface for the specification. Other interfaces may be considered later.
- Form factors will include “new” as well as incumbents. For existing form factors, feedback on improvements will be submitted to the respective standards committees.
- Avoid unnecessary form factor proliferation
- Cost optimal: Avoid the use of exotic (and costly) approaches
- Thermal/Power efficient
- Real estate-efficient for the SSD
- Storage density-efficient for the platform